Tennis Balls- Good or Bad For Your Dog
Tennis balls are often seen as a popular toy for dogs, but they can actually be harmful to our furry friends. While they may seem like harmless and fun items to play with, there are several reasons why tennis balls are not a suitable choice for dogs.
First and foremost, tennis balls are made of compressed felt, which can easily fall apart and create small pieces that dogs can swallow. If ingested, these small pieces can cause blockages in the digestive system, leading to serious health problems. In addition, the glue used to hold the felt together can also be harmful if ingested.
Another reason why tennis balls are not a good choice for dogs is that they can damage their teeth. Tennis balls are designed to be hard and bouncy, which can cause significant wear and tear on a dog's teeth over time. This can lead to painful cracks, chips, and even tooth loss, or expose tooth pulp, this makes it easy for bacteria to enter and cause an infection in your dog’s mouth.
In addition, tennis balls can cause eye injuries in dogs. The small, round shape of the ball and its tendency to bounce unpredictably can easily hit a dog's eye, causing pain, swelling, and even permanent damage.
Finally, tennis balls are often treated with chemicals, such as dyes and fragrances, that can be harmful to dogs if they are ingested or if they come into contact with the skin.
In conclusion, while tennis balls may seem like a fun toy for dogs, they can actually be harmful to their health. Owners should consider alternative toys made of safer materials and should always supervise their dogs when playing to minimize the risk of injury.
This can be a very expensive toy, if you have to take your dog to the veterinarian.
Dr. Thomas Chamberlain
Dr. Peter Dobias
Fuel your furry friend's adventures with our healthy, Beef Jerky treats made with real meat!
← Older Post Newer Post →