How to Help your Dog from Itching & Scratching
One of the most over looked thing is the FOOD. So that's where we will begin.
1) Dod Food
Most dog foods these days are full of fillers that dogs normally would not eat. Remember the old saying that you cant fool a dogs nose? Well, the dog food industry is such a big industry these days that they employ food scientists to do exactly that.
If your dog is itchy or has a rash, the first place to look is at his food. Beef, dairy, wheat, and chicken are the most common culprits of food allergies in dogs.
Here is a list of other ingredients to avoid in your Dog's food;
- Corn and wheat gluten
- Meat and grain meals and by-products
- BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole)
- BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene
- EthoxyquinFood Dyes (Blue 2, Red 40, Yellow 5 and 6, 4-MIE)
- PG (Propylene Glycol)
- Rendered fats
We tried to find a good Dog food, but deciding the best way for us was to make our own healthy raw dog food. We make up a batch for our 2 Papillon's (Ruben & Sebastian). There health is very important to us. Vet bills are crazy expensive and anything we can do to cut down on the possibility of them getting cancer.....WE DO.
Here is a little video of us making our own raw dog food. We a re not vets but this is what we do and believe to be a good practice for our dogs! check it out here RAW DOG FOOD VIDEO
Not many of us truly give or Dogs the exercise they need. And to those of you who do I commend you because with today's hectic way of life to make that time is a commitment. The physical and mental effect of exercise are great, just the same way it is good for humans to exercise. Regularly exercising your pet is just as important as exercise for you. Health benefits range widely, but include helping hip joints, reducing digestive problems, and keeping your dog at a healthy weight, which decreases the likelihood of developing other health problems. Make sure your dog receives enough exercise, attention, and love. It can also be helpful to have toys or bones to relieve stress and keep them entertained.
3) Check for Fleas or Ticks
We live in the northeast and ticks are a real problem. If you notice you dog itching look immediately for ticks and flees. I don't recommend the pills or collars they are pure poison to kill the bugs and can not be good for your pets. There are ways to get rid of them naturally. That will be in a later blog. there are some good shampoos and diatomaceous earth is and awesome way to control those little pests.
1) One of the best all around natural supplements is Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil. It helps with sore aching joints, dry itchy skin, with digestion, dandruff, gives a shinny coat and the list goes on.
2) multi vitamin is a good idea especially as your dog gets older.
3) Probiotics or digestive enzymes are a good idea. Most foods contain ingredients that are not easy for a dog to digest. unfortunately, there are way too many ingredients that a dog would not normally eat in the wild.
Click Here to get Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil!
← Older Post Newer Post →